Wednesday, February 28, 2007

CNY Gathering

Hi guys,

I'll like to thank Qiwei for inviting me to the 1st CNY gathering with you guys in years!
Although the amount of time spent there was short (in part because some of us were late from other "bai nian" activities, and in part because of children's committments), it was nontheless heartwarming to see so many familiar faces under the same roof.

I have been so distant from you guys that at times I feel like an intruder into someone else's gathering, but familiarity and good hospitality soon took over and my wife, daughter and myself soon warmed up to all of you. It's like a rebuilding exercise for me, but I am trying.

It's so fun to see the children of my friends (well, I don't have that many chances because my own close circle of friends are still childless by intention). I was pleasantly surprised by Peishun's 2 children who came up to me like they saw an old friend and wished me "xin nian kuai le". They also eagerly shook my hand like an election candidate on his walkabout.

Justin was a bit shy with me at first, but being the big kid I am, it's not difficult to break the ice with him. I met Guohao and family at Serangoon Garden's Pao Xing chicken rice once and that's where I first met Justin. So I guess raking up the past helped a little, when I mentioned I also like chicken rice. Seeing we have a common denominator, I think he more or less has less negative vibes about this silly "uncle". Not much chance with Darren because he was tired and cranky and hungry. He did make himself heard most of the time.

And lastly, Yiqiang and family came and Si En (pardon the spelling) made many of us laugh with her mature posing in front of the camera. She even used my daughter as part of the furniture to pose for her daddy. It was really funny. I have attached a picture to share. It's a good way to round up my CNY activity. Cheers to you guys, and for good health and prosperity.




The girl on the right looks like a Singapore Idol in the making while the one on the left might be a Glutton Champion in future.

3 comments:

Maelyn said...

Sorry i could not attend the gathering as i was hosting another one for my friends who returned from overseas... so, when are we meeting next? BTW, i'll be having a chalet on 10 Mar... maybe all of you can bring your kids over (for a swim) and have a BBQ from afternoon onwards? The chalet's at Aloha Loyang...

eiklin said...

that was a great shot KC! didn't know min-zheng-hao was such a glutton, probably under the influence of da-chang-jin?

security personnels at QW's place sure weren't too friendly these days. though yingchek managed to park underground, peisoon's 1-wheel-clamp-per-army-camp did not pacify his nerves and so he had to leave early to check? :P

other than being little shy and always looking for mummy, the only interaction with justin should be the ang-pao ceremony (which simply includes saying GXFC, shake-hands and give away the angpao) as well as the few hi-five sessions. though quiet and reserved, he certainly looked handsome with that occasional smile and hearty laughs.

wan-yu was certainly the star (well, before si-en and yu-wen [aka min-zheng-hao] i suppose) who kept passing the tit-bits and fruits around to uncles and aunties, not forgetting saving some for his own tummy. by the way, did the way he moved around the house make you wonder if his previous life was spent as a mario brother?!

shall look forward to meeting the 3 piglets next year!

michael said...

Yes...my thanks to QW also for the hosting (second time round somemore). As well as to PS - having a crowd jostling at home must not be too wonderful an experience when you're 2 months away from childbirth.

Just like all other gatherings with small children, this one has its focus very much on them. It must be so embarrassing to be a kid with all the limelight, although i doubt any of them feel that way.

Probably least of all was Wanyu (pardon the spelling too!) who was cozying up to everyone who looked capable of peeling a mandarin orange or opening a candy wrapping. He's definitely a natural when it comes to instructing - perhaps a chip off the old block?

It was also interesting to see how adults changed in the presence of kids. I observed Guochuan being extra tender with them, which was something I wouldn't imagine in him before. I think we all morph into protective big daddies and mommies once we have kids (or even before they are popped!)

Let's keep the reunions going!