Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Memory lane

This post is my tribute to WQ. Not to conjure up more sadness, but to serve as a reminder years down the road that we were fortunate to have once enjoyed the company of a great friend. May this also be an avenue for Yushan and others in the family to re-live some of the moments that WQ has shared with us. These are obviously samples from my own collection, many of which you will be familiar with, but if you have more from your own stash do think about sharing them too.










Happy days in CHS class 4B. The Class T-shirt and mural at the back of the classroom were both designed by WQ. Notice how slim and handsome KC once was... and yes, ahem.. the signature playmobil hair.









The 4B soccer team, of course the school champions. Who worked hardest for the team? probably the one with the most soiled jersey.










Back in CHS after the release of O-level results. Forget the show off plaques, this was the era when large spectacles were the rage of the town.











Good old Bukit Batok council room. If you have forgotten, WQ was the canteen IC. What's the name of that teacher he had to work with? Mr Tian? Now i finally know how they could click, see the resemblance on WQ's face?














This has got to be the pick of the lot. Nevermind that signage falling while being hoisted, we did a good job, didn't we? And WQ scored an A*, no doubt. Classic!














One of my favourite pictures, think Yingchek shot this. And thanks to his dad, we got to do a one day cruise on Lady Olivia. Look how satisfied we all were.










I had to put this in, because i shot it! Could have done better with manipulating the depth of field, though. Recognise the big old tree behind Bukit Timah council room?










I can't recall when or what the occasion was, might be one of the mid-autumn homecomings. But when you see Catalyst this lean and mean, you know it's during those NS days.











This was the time WQ, Yingchek and myself spent at NUS Sheares Hall. We were "pressured" into joining the National Day Celebrations Committee, effectively my last working comm with WQ. Man, we hated those 4am work sessions... Notice Fengling in the picture too.

Many of you probably know that WQ draws quite well. We did a history group project in CHS, on Mahatma Gandhi. As part of that, a choose-your-own-adventure book was produced, with WQ drawing all the cartoons. We won second prize in the school wide project day competition. Check these out:





















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Qiwei, for bringing us down memory lane. It was a very good walk, and thanks for reminding me how "handsome" I was. i also vaguely remembered I was one of the taller ones in sec school because the rest of their testosterone hasn't kicked in yet.

I think I still have that class T-shirt stashed somewhere in a JB closet. I also remembered the mural (but I've always thought the horse's ass is a tad too big). Nonetheless, those were really happy days....and you can tell from all the "innocent" and fun-filled faces in the photos.

Anonymous said...

I still remember coming in second in the soccer tournament. (Was from 4E). I couldn't understand back then how a rag-tag bunch could run circles around my team (we had several school-reps of various sports in team) It's dawned on me since that the kids from 4B were hungrier and played better as a unit. Some of the members from my class still joke about how we lost 16yrs back. -guochuan-