Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Catching up

Great, I can finally get some time to blog! Let me start with a technical note. So… there are posts and there are comments. How do I keep track of new comments without having to look through them one by one to see which ones I’ve missed? If that is really the only way, would it be easier if everyone just make new postings everytime (since it'll help make our blog big, according to eik)?

Yes, Kopitiam has been really heartwarming. It’s good that I don’t get that much time during work to keep coming back, I can imagine it’ll be difficult emotionally to tune back to my experiments. I did that family trip as well last year. PS and I went to China with my parents and in-laws. I thought if we’re going to get them together on a trip, somewhere culturally not-too-different should be good, and so China we went. It turned out to be really enjoyable, the highlight being going up Huangshan, which we thought will be quite a challenge for our parents. Indeed, my mother-in-law could barely walk for two days after. She has since strongly proclaimed that there shall never be another “shan” in our future itinerary. But it was worth the effort. I remember watching documentaries about the beautiful sceneries on Huangshan back when I would still watch documentaries at home with my father, visiting the place together with him was even greater.

Yes, I’m certainly for the road trip idea, though I’m not sure if I’ll be available for one anytime soon. Btw, EDD for my baby is 30th Apr 2007. Anyway, can’t have everyone available. I remember P. Pangkor… I remember being a pillion on GH’s bike. It was raining and getting dark one evening on our way back to the hotel when we came across this little wooden bridge. Of all places, GH had to choose this point to demonstrate his in-singapore-no-license-but-in-M’sia-can-rent biking skills, by slipping off the narrow strip of wooden plank and then trying to get back on from the side. Comically, and almost in slow-motion fashion, we both fell over and ended up with nice momentos in the form of swollen bruises on our legs. I also remember on the day we first got onto our bikes, WQ was so excited that he couldn’t let go of the throttle and half rammed into the hotel building before stopping. And that was when we were only testing the bikes. Didn’t he also almost knock into a Malay auntie at the street market?

Yes, that hug from Yeek. Am I honoured! Though I can’t remember what exactly you said (perhaps my mind was still very much on the day’s proceedings or maybe you just mumbled), I certainly felt your sincerity and understood what you were driving at. And I enjoyed your hug.

Yes, YJ and I met up with WQ a couple of weeks before he left… KC had said to me at the funeral that it all felt very unreal because he hadn’t met WQ for quite a while, too long a while to recognize his new-found trendy image. In that respect, I think YJ and I were luckier. It was 4th Nov. We went to “Gone Fishing”, a laid-back cafe tucked away in a corner in Hillview. I suggested that place because it was started by a couple who quit their high-paced corporate life to get back in tune with a family-centred lifestyle. What an irony. I’m not sure if I’ll be going back to that place again, but I’m comforted by the fact that I have seen him in a more relaxed state, less cynical than he’s always been, even though it’s only for that one afternoon. It actually made the pain less unbearable, knowing that my old friend was a happier person when he left... I'd like to think that he has really gone fishing.

9 comments:

eiklin said...

this problem which you described between comments and posts existed since 1991 in an institution called HCJC. say for example whenever councillor A has finished reading a few pages of the council diary, and then the next councillor, councillor B reads it and makes a comment some few pages ago, didn't councillor A have to turn back the pages and see what councillor B has written? councillor A will have this urge to always turn back a few pages since he/she will never know when councillor Z has even finished reading whatever pages and whether he/she has made any comments after that. councillor Z can choose to write a new page of course, or it could be better to scribble back on the same page with some highlights, some underlining, some arrows drawn or even some cartoons created. and so some will end up reading more and some will end up writing more, everybody happy can already lor.

speaking about going north, i will be heading somewhere real far north next week, and that is shanghai! no lah not for holiday but more for a work conference. anybody need me to bring back a bottle of sand from 上海滩?

Anonymous said...

There's actually a technical solution to the issue of tracking comments.

Check out this article:
http://hackosphere.blogspot.com/2006/09/displaying-recent-comments-in-sidebar.html

qw said...

Eh eik, it is precisely because the same problem existed back in 1991 that i thought this issue would have been addressed 15 years later in this digital age. More so since underlining, arrows and cartoons were the highlights back then but can't be done here! Ok ok, i rest my case. Will check out anonymous' link when i next find some time.
Hey, why not we do that, create a service online for people to use exactly like a diary, where you can highlight, underline, draw arrows, cartoons, and share with people? If a simple idea like Youtube can make it big, this should have a chance? But how har?

Eh... who is anonymous? I know telling us will defeat the purpose of being anonymous, but i'm just dying to know... argh...

eiklin said...

wow this is a clever use of various existing methods: RSS combined with page elements of blogspot.com. thanx to Anonymous, we now have the most recent 5 comments on the right side bar of this blog!

and yes, sometimes new technology is not necessarily required, just the creative use of old technology, heh, just like youtube.

but then there is slight problem with the RSS as clicking on the link will not bring you to the actual comment, but the post to which the comment belongs. will see how to resolve this.

Catalyst said...

I think anonymous is anonymous loh...maybe some kind hearted person who just happen to read our blog and decided to share with us suaku bloggers who dun even know how to blog on how to overcome the comments problems.....this is public blog mah...so everyone can read and comment....Anyway, i purposely leave this comment to see if it works....i should see it next to the blog after i hit the publish button...hahaha

eiklin said...

the "Recent Comments" sidebar has been updated to be more read-able. enjoy..

qw said...

er... I thought anyone can read the blog but only registered contributors can leave a post or comment?

Well thank you, anonymous!

qw said...

Oh, forgot to say this... Big thank you to eik! Very useful sidebar.

eiklin said...

its possible to restrict to anonymous, registered users of blogspot or just 18thsc-blogspot's contributors. right now it is anonymous.

let me know your preferences..