Saturday, November 25, 2006

a Virgin's lesson learnt

PART I

Its been a good 13-14 yrs since we graduated from HCJC. Hadn't been in contact with any of you since I left JC. Cos in all honesty, I've to confess that I see those 2 years as my worst time out of a total of 32yrs. Not that I dislike those times that I spent in JC. Its just that, on hind sight, I really sucked big time back then. Both in terms of academic & ECA performance. Vain, ambitious, greedy, selfish, stubborn, naive were some of my "attributes" I see flashing in mind whenever I thought of the SC days. I enjoyed the times we had together.

After "A" Levels, I had hell lot of time to reflect upon myself before entering NS. And the failure I see in myself was so great that I had never been able to pick myself up till now. I was an ambitious & enthusiastic chap, with drive & dare to pursue what I want. But I had almost always lost sight of the big picture...the consequences...the human factor. It was only about what I want.

I was dying to clinch that 18th SC presidency. Not because of my desire to lead, serve & contribute, but more of what happened in the CHS SC election & my desire to prove that I CAN DO it. I got what I want. I lost so much more than I could possibly imagine.

Ever since dawning on this realisation, just before I went for NS, I changed to the other extreme. From one who believe so much in himself to one that resigns most things to fate. My JC days really had the greatest impact to my life, albeit being the environment I spent the least time in.

I had started my own business in car trade last year. Since then, I was searching for the enthusiasm & drive that I used to have during my school days. But 12 yrs was really too long a time. The mould has hardened & its difficult to break. But I'll just have to continue trying & pushing.

If there's a chance for us to meet again, hopefully you can find me more matured & ....balance? Sorry, can't find the right word.

My sincere apologies to make my virgin post (1st time blogger) rather negatively toned. But its something that I really felt, that I hope someone from the 18th SC to know. To know that I had realised I was blind to my own fault & that I know I was not a good president.

PART II

In life, there are many lessons to be learnt. In our friend's death, we learnt to cherished what we have now (wah lao eh! see bay lao3 tao4). What I want to point out is that, there's a growing number of death cases while sleeping. I think they call it "lao2 si3" (tire to death). It might be a growing trend in S'pore. With our hectic work schedules, deadlines to meet, making ends meet, etc we have to realise the stress & pressure we're under everyday. WK is not the 1st one whom I heard would like to retire at 45. A few of my friends aimed to achieve that too.

In my humble opinion, a balanced lifestyle is more important than retirement age. Work & play now, so that we can still work & play at 65.

COMMERCIAL

For car owners, you may log on to www.ra.com.sg for a quotation on your motor insurance. Its a site my partner & I started. Alternatively you may contact me direct.

Keep this blog going 18th SC!!

Liangchuan
aka Rex

3 comments:

yingchek said...

Liangchuan aka Rex,

If we had seen you as someone who really 'sucked big time, was vain, ambitious, greedy, selfish, stubborn and naive', would we have endured through the 2 years under your 'dictatorship'?

If we now see you as someone who used to 'sucked big time, be vain, ambitious, greedy, selfish, stubborn and naive', would we still invite you to this blog (although technically it's KC who invited, but that's besides the point)?

If you were indeed someone who 'sucked big time, were vain, ambitious, greedy, selfish, stubborn and naive', would we be so free of sins ourselves to hold a grudge against you?

Since you are now in the car business, let's just say that what happened over the last 13-14yrs was like buying and using the URA parking coupon for 13-14yrs, only to realise that you have a pre-paid parking label on your windscreen all this while!

I actually always thought that you didn't really hang out with us because you feel that you can clique with some other friends better, which is totally cool. But if you're now saying that it's because you felt unworthy, that's totally uncool. None of us are more worthy of one another's friendship than the next person is, as we are all fellow human beings who make mistakes.

Having said that, it is wonderful to hear your heartfelt thoughts that has probably been buried for ages. For me, they really answer the question "what happened to Liangchuan?", and the answer is "he has come back as courageous Rex".

qw said...

yc has put it so well that i can't find anything more to add to support his views.

We're only 17-18 then. All of us probably realised by now that we thought and did a number of silly things, be it in the council or not. I did. I don't believe that it's possible to "live life without regrets". Instead, regrets serve as valuable lessons in discovering our own inner selves.

So Rex, like it or not, you're down in history as president of 18th SC. The fact that you've learnt from it meant that it was a worthwhile journey.

Welcome back!

eiklin said...

cant exactly recall every single detail, but from what i remember, at least you always insist to stand up straight whenever we recite the council pledge or sing the council song of the 1st SC.

so just want to add to the point that perhaps it is more of a leader figure that matters most to the rest of us, and that it was a successful one.

ps. Rex as in WRX??