Thursday, November 30, 2006

Expert or not

Sometimes i wonder, what am i doing in my job? Can anyone tell? OK....dun pretend...how many of you know the name of my company? See, all you self proclaimed good friends are all not at all concern one...dun even know my company.....Anyway, that's not my point.....I am technically a Technical Sales person.....So what does that means? I sell them my product and provide technical consultation to my customers. My customer consults me when they have any operational problem, or any problems they think they have. Most of them have more than 15 years of experience, some 20. Day in and day out they operated the unit whereas I have only worked on this job for 4 years. Strange right? And do you think i can say..yah right, the problem is my product, not your operations. And they have to believe me because i am the so called "expert" in my field. So you see...the experts that we see everyday in the corporate world...are they experts at all? Seems like many firms just hire postgraduates, exp those with MBAs, to be consultants when they dun even have experience, (unlike me, I have 4 in this area OK, yah that helps). What it takes is really BS. Mastering the art of BS definitely helps in consulting. The better you BS, the more you get consulted, the more senior is your position.

Imagine one day you walk into Best denki, wanting to buy the most current HDTV, in readiness for the upcoming launch of HDTV islandwide...then which one should you choose? So you walk up to the first salesperson (he's the expert right?) then he says, " ok Phillips is now having a promotion, features good lah best definition, 100000x100000 pigsels, 10000 loomens very blight, Conterast is vely good, about 1000:1 somemore now got free gifts leh, if dun want free gifts, can convert into taka vouchers...whoa...your heart is beating, "Man, I din know Phillips is a so good in LCD TV, some more so cheap PLUS 5 years warranty!" But then how come I feel that Samsung looks clearer although the expert says otherwise? So you decided to look for another expert and he says exactly the last expert had said....but this time it's not phillips, it's for LG..Wah lao eh.....how to choose....Finally you understand that all the "experts" in the LCDTV sales line are driven by the commi$$ion. So, although they are all wearing denki uniforms, but they get different comm from different brands for each expert. Experts? My foot, experts. Better trust your own eyes lah.

But what's my point really? Nothing actually, just too free now and drank a few cups of coffee (not from Carpi Diem)..can't go to sleep so decided to talk some rubbish. Sometimes there is some pressure in pretending to be an expert.....when i am not....not that i want to but need to. Otherwise how can i persuade pple to buy my stuff? But i guess this will slowly goes away and i am beginning to know why.....because slowly, u'll get more comfortable with BS and pple automatically think you are the expert when u are so confident in your delivery. And as time gets by, the visible white hair will stand out more prominently, especially when you have a younger audience. This helps because of the saying, "wise old man" . Automatically, I guessed, becoming an Expert in one's field is just a matter of time........

On hindsight, I think it is the best to sell/buy 4d and toto because got diok means got diok, no diok means no diok, no need consult expert to explain or justify, just need wan bao or sinming.

No comments: